Name: Dr. Cherian Verghese
Educational Qualification: MD, MPH
Designation: Associate Professor
Department: Department of Medicine
University: University of Toledo
Research Interests: Cancer Prevention, Melanoma and Lymphoma
1. Left bundle branch block in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a sign of advanced cardiovascular involvement. Guzman E, Singh N, Khan IA, Niarchos AP, Verghese C, Saponieri C, Singh HK, Gowda RM, Vasavada BC, Cohen RA. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol. 2004 Oct; 9(4):362-5.
2. Acute Reversible Heart Failure with Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. M Srivastava, C Verghese, D Sepkowitz. Am J Therapeutics 2004 (11): 323-325.
3. Clinical Case of the Month: A 28-year-old Man with Leukocytosis and Anemia. Narmala, SK, Gandla, KK, Verghese, C., Bourgeosis, K., Boulmay, BC. J Louisiana State Medical Society. 2010, 162(1):8-13.
4. Recurrent myocardial infarctions in a young football player to thrombophilia, associated with elevated factor VIII activity. Vacek, TP, Yu, SP, Rehman, S., Grubb, BP, Kosinski, D., Verghese, C., Eltahawy, EA, Qaiser Shafiq. International Medical Case Reports Journal, 2014:7; 147-154.
5. Primary Evan Syndrome with Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation Suggest Progressive Immune Dysregulation and Early Immunosuppressive Intervention is Key to Improving Outcomes. Siddiqui N, Toumeh A, Yoon Y, Verghese C. Am J Ther. 2016 Jul-Aug; 23(4):e1105-7.
6. Screening for lung cancer has limited effectiveness globally and distracts from much needed efforts to reduce the critical worldwide prevalence of smoking and related morbidity and mortality. Verghese C, Redko, C., Fink, B. Journal of Global Oncology, no. 4 (January 2018) 1-7.
7. Ischemic Stroke After Plasmapheresis. Hisham Salahuddin, Ajaz Ahmad Sheik, Sharmeen Hussaini, Cherian Verghese, Gretchen Tietjen. The Am J Medical Sciences, 2018.
8. Deletion of 9q Causes Chronic BCR-ABL Negative Benign Neutrophilia. Cherian Verghese, Xiaojin Sha, Talal Khan, Emmanouil Alimmpertis, Hany Meawad, Riddhish Sheth, Feraz Khogeer, Anis Toumeh, Nauman Siddiqui, Robert Booth. Journal of Oncology & Medicine. 2019; 2 (5): 214-218.
9. Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T-Cell Therapy: Reach to Solid Tumor Experience. Matthew N. Metzinger, Cherian Verghese, Danae M. Hamouda, Amanda Lenhard, Khalil Choucair, Neil Senzer, F. Charles Brunicardi, Lance Dworkin, John Nemunaitis. Accepted. ONCOLOGY. Manuscript# OCL-2019-2-11.
10. Interleukin 10-Mediated Response and Correlated Anemia in a Patient with Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Khalil Choucair, Jesse D Kelso, Joseph R Duff, Christine S Cassidy, Mary T Albrethsen, Mushtaq Ashraf, Cherian Verghese, Martin Oft, F. Charles Brunicardi, Lance Dworkin, John Nemunaitis. Case Reports in Oncology. Accepted. Manuscript# CRO-2019-3-2.
11. Atorvastatin Induced Eosinophilia. Ankur Choubey, Ali Alqahtani, Cherian Verghese. Am J Therapeutics 2020.
12. Verghese C, Vandervelde N. Initial evaluation of Lymphadenopathy. Clinical Decision Support in Medicine. Editor- Andrew Auerbach, MD, UCSF Division of Hospital Medicine, Jan 2013.
ABSTRACTS AND POSTER PRESENTATIONS
13. Racial disparities among patients with metastatic lung disease. Siddiqui, NM, Khan, Z., Verghese, C., Javaid, T., Saleh, J., Mohamed, I., Khuder, S. J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr e13070).
14. Vitamin C Deficiency and Pancytopenia – Still an under recognized cause for morbidity from long term Total Parenteral Nutrition in spite of supplementation with multi-vitamin formulations. Abdurahman, A., Huff, S., Shahid, S., Iyer, V., Bagchi, A. Verghese, C. Presented at the SGIM 2016 Annual Meeting.
15. Gender linked differences in human platelet delta granules. Paul, S., Yendala, R., Parker, R., Verghese, C. Finalist poster for the ACP National Meeting, May, 2016.
16. Clinical discordance between pain and hyperbilirubinemia should initiate evaluation for reasons other than a hemolytic or vaso-occlusive crisis in patients with sickle cell disease. Karmi, A., Gupta., M., Alhadhif, A., Sakhi, R., Verghese, C. Presented at the 38th SGIM Annual Meeting, April 2015.
17. Activation of Nuclear Factor-κB Correlates with Prostate Cancer Progression. Sakhi, R., Thandra, V., Delpachitra, D., Khogeer, F., Abdel-Mageed, A., Srivastav, S., Alrahwan, D., Verghese, C. Presented at the 12th Annual AMA Research Symposium, Nov 2014.
18. Clinical Effectiveness of non-crisis driven management of homozygous adult sickle cell disease with prophylactic out-patient IV fluid administration. Khogeer, F., Thandra, V., Fink, B., Verghese, C. Sickle Cell Disease Association of American (SCDAA) Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD. Oct. 1-4, 2014.
19. Conditional survival estimates for patients with plasma cell leukemia: An analysis of the SEER database. Iyer, V., Bagchi, A., Hamouda, A., Nai, Q., Hakim H., Verghese, C. ASCO Annual Conf # 15057, June 2017.
20. Prophylactic anticoagulation to benefit younger patients under 65 years of age with metastatic lung cancer: An analysis of the 2013 Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) data. Bagchi, A., Iyer, V., Hamouda, D., Nai, Q., Khuder, S., Verghese, C. ASCO Annual Conference # 15057, June 2017.
21. Pre-Operative Red Blood Cell Transfusion for Correction of Anemia Prior to Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Leads to Increased Mortality. Abdurahman Alloghbi, Vyshnavi Reddy, Keinan Taja, Thomas Schwann, James Westra, Sadik Khuder, and Cherian Verghese. Accepted by ACP- Ohio Chapter Conference.
22. Primary Follicular Lymphoma of the Spleen Presenting as a Solitary Splenic Mass. Abdurahman Alloghbi, Courtney M Rusch and Cherian Verghese. Accepted by ACP- Ohio Chapter Conference.