Name: Dr. Mohammad Tariq Salman
Educational Qualification: MD
Designation: Associate Professor
Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University
Research Interests: Herbal drugs, Rational Use of Medicines, Pharmacovigilance, Antimicrobial resistance, Medical Education and Diabetes Mellitus.
Biography: Dr. Mohammad Tariq Salman did MBBS and MD in Pharmacology from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University. He is a Senior Resident at JN Medical College, AMU, Aligarh, involved in teaching and training of medical dental and pharmacy students. He Joined as an Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Era’s Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow. Subsequently he promoted to Associate Professor. Thereafter he worked as Associate Professor of Pharmacology at Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University, Dammam, Saudi Arabia where he taught and coordinated Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics courses. With 14 years of research and teaching experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He is an active member of the Medical Education Unit, Era’s Lucknow Medical College organized workshops for in-house training of faculty and postgraduate students. He is a Member, Animal House Committee & Institutional Animal Ethics Committee. He is a Co-coordinator of undergraduate teaching program for para-clinical subjects and PG Coordinator, Department of Pharmacology. He published more than 35 papers in peer-reviewed national and international journals and presented research papers in several conferences. He is the Co-author of ‘A Guide to the Alternatives to Animal Experimentation’ which is presently in its third edition and prescribed in pharmacology curriculum for MBBS students. He also authored a book entitled Antimicrobial Activity of Nigella sativa Against Resistant Bacteria and chapters in books. He received grant for a research project studying the effect of statins on hs-CRP and supervised several students in short term research projects. He delivered talks in several workshops related to medical education, biomedical research ethics, and research publication. He has experience in guiding Ph.D. and several MD students and he is on the board of reviewers of several international journals of repute.
1. Salman MT, Ali A, Iftakhar M, Khan SW. Surgical Site Infection and its Relation with Prophylactic Antibiotics Prescription Pattern in a Tertiary Care Hospital of North India. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2018;4(1):153-157.
2. Salman MT, Khan RA, Shukla I. Antibacterial Activity of Nigella Sativa Linn. Seeds Against Multiple Antibiotics Resistant Clinical Strains of Staphylococcus aureus. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2016;2(3):96-99.
3. Akram MF, Salman MT, Krishnan DG, Ahmad N, Khan A. Herbal drugs: knowledge, attitude and practice of its concurrent use with allopathic drugs, scientific testing and effectiveness in common diseases among educated class. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2016; 5:1275-80.
4. Tewari SN, Salman MT, Thadani S, Singh S, Ahmad A. A Study Of Pregabalin, Tramadol, Their Combination And Nigella sativa In Neuropathic Pain In Rats. International Journal Of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2015; Vol. 6(10). 4406-14.
5. Thadani S, Salman MT, Tewari S, Singh S, Bhagchandani D and Ahmad A: Renoprotective Effect of Ocimum sanctum in Comparison with Olmesartan Medoxomil and Pitavastatin in Metformin Treated Diabetic Rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015; 6(10). 4433-4441. 1000-10.doi: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232. 6(10).
6. Kumar K, Salman MT, Shukla V, Ahmad A, Verma V K, Rizvi D A and Kohli A: Comparative Effect of Agomelatine versus Escitalopram on Glycemic Control and Symptoms of Depression in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Depression). Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015; 6(10). 4304-4309. doi: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.6(10).1000-06.
7. Singh S¸ Salman MT, Karauli R, Tewari S, Rai RK. Phenytoin induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome in a 38 year male patient: A Case Report. Int Arch BioMed Clin Res. 2015 Aug; 1(1):28-30
8. Sachchidanand Tewari, Mohd. Tariq Salman, Pretty Singh, Sukhpreet Singh, Ali Ahmad, Dilshad Ali Rizvi. Ameliorative effect on neuropathy due to anti-cancer drug using herbal extract - An experimental study of Nigella sativa. MedPulse – International Medical Journal April 2015; 2(4): 199-205.
9. Rupinder Kaur, Mohd T. Salman, Narendra K. Gupta, Uma Gupta, Ali Ahmad, Vinod K. Verma. Presurgical Antibiotic Prophylaxis Pattern In An Indian Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. JK Science. 2015; 17(2): 73-8
10. Islam, M. H., Ahmad, I. Z., & Salman, M. T. Neuroprotective effects of Nigella sativa extracts during germination on central nervous system. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2015;11(42), 182-9.
11. Md Faiz Akram, Mohd Tariq Salman, Afzal Khan, Divya G Krishnan, Nihal Ahmad. Herbal Drugs: Study Of Knowledge Attitude And Practices About Their Side Effects, Source Of Advice And Conditions For Preference Among Educated Class. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical sciences. 2015, Volume 2, Issue 2,180-188.
12. Mohammad Hayatul Islam, Iffat Zareen Ahmad and Mohammad Tariq Salman. Enhancement in anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Nigella sativa seed during germination. Pharmacognosy Journal. 5 (2014) 1-3
13. Ahmad S, Wasim S, Salman MT, Siddiqui MA, Shabnam N, Khanna P. Atypical thyrotoxicosis relapse after carbimazole discontinuation: A case report with pharmacological view. Int J Sci Stud 2014;2(8):264-266.
14. D.S. Kushwah, M.T. Salman, P. Singh, V.K. Verma and A. Ahmad, 2014. Protective Effects of Ethanolic Extract of Nigella sativa Seed in Paracetamol Induced Acute Hepatotoxicity In vivo. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 17(4): 517-522.
15. Dilshad Ali Rizvi, Mohammad Tariq Salman, Joydeep Sircar, Ali Ahmad. Effect Of Budesonide By Metered Dose Inhaler With Or Without Spacer And Dry Powder Inhaler On Lung Function. Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res 2013, 5 (4): 233-240
16. Mohammad Hayatul Islam, Iffat Zareen Ahmad and Mohammad Tariq Salman. In vivo evaluation of anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Nigella sativa seed during germination. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 5 (4), 2013.
17. Thadani S, Salman MT, Ahmad A. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practice of Self Medication Among Second Year Undergraduate Medical Students. J Rational Pharmacother Res 2013; 1(3): 131-4.
18. Abdussalam, Salman, M. T., Gupta, S., Trivedi, M., Farooqi, M. (2013). Poor Quality of Sleep and its Relationship with Depression in First Year Medical Students. Advances in Life Science and Technology, 12(2), 17-21
19. Eqbal Anwer, Abdussalam, Mohammad Tariq Salman, Mohd. Sadiq Salman. Smoking Behaviour Among Resident University Students In North India: Some Issues And Challenges. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare. 3 (2), 2013. 201-208
20. Islam MH, Ahmad IZ, Salman MT. Antibacterial efficacy of Nigella sativa seed in germination phases on clinical strains isolated from human patients. E3 Journal of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Research 4(1), 8-13, 2013.
21. Chansoria AK, Trivedi M, Salman MT, Dixit RK. Evaluation of protective effect of thymoquinone against antitubercular drug induced nephrohepatic toxicity in rats. National Journal Of Ayurvedic And Alternative Medicine. 1(2), 2012. 1-12.
22. Devendra Singh Kushwah, Mohd Tariq Salman, Hemant Kumar Singh, Ali Ahmad, V.K. Verma. In vivo Hepatoprotective Potential of Nigella sativa Extract Against Rifampicin Induced Sub-chronic Hepatotoxicity and Altered Redox Status. Journal of Biologically Active Products from Nature. 2012; 2(3) 167 – 177.
23. Dilshad Ali Rizvi, Mohammad Tariq Salman, Syed Esam Mahmood, Joydeep Sircar, Karim Ullah Ansari, Vinod Kumar Verma. Comparative Efficacy of Budesonide by Different Delivery Devices in Bronchial Asthma. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2 (2), 2012. 99-106
24. Khan FA, Nizamuddin S, Salman MT. Patterns of prescription of antimicrobial agents in the department of otorhinolaryngology in a tertiary care teaching hospital. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 5(14), 1732-1738, 2011
25. Karoli R, Fatima J, Salman MT, Sandhu S, Shankar R. Managing diabetic ketoacidosis in non-intensive care unit setting: Role of insulin analogs. Indian J Pharmacol 2011;43:398-401
26. Sindhu S, Singh HK, Salman MT, Fatima J, Verma VK. Effects of atorvastatin and rosuvastatin on high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and lipid profile in obese type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2011;2:261-5
27. Kushwah DS, Kushwah B, Salman MT, Verma VK. Acceptability and safety profile of oral and sublingual misoprostol for uterine evacuation following early fetal demise. Indian J Pharmacol. 2011;43(3):306-10.
28. Sindhu S, Singh HK, Salman MT, Verma VK. Comparative Evaluation of Pharmacology Question Papers in Medical Colleges Affiliated To Different Universities in North India Along with Recommendations. Journal of Research in Medical Education and Ethics. 2011, 1(3)
29. Singh HK, Sindhu S, Salman MT, Gaur S, Katiyar DK, Verma VK. DRUG LABELS – Still Fallible in India. Indian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 2011; 48(4): 92-95.
30. Khan FA, Nizamuddin S, Salman MT. Drug Utilization Patterns of Antimicrobial agents in the Outpatient department of ENT in a tertiary care teaching hospital of North India. JAPHR. 2011;1(2):22-30.
31. Salman MT, Khan RA, Shukla I. In vitro Antimicrobial activity of Nigella sativa extracts against multiple antibiotics resistant bacteria isolated from clinical specimens. Hamdard Medicus. 54 (1), 2011. 48-54.
32. Salman MT, Khan FA, Rahman SZ, Makhdoom M. Drug Prescribing Pattern in Dental Teaching Hospital. JK Science. 11 (2), 2009. 107
33. Salman MT, Khan RA, Shukla I. A Study of Nigella sativa Linn. seeds for antimicrobial activity against multidrug resistant clinical strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine. 4(4). 2009. 95-104.
34. Zakir SM, Zaka-ur-Rab S, Salman MT, Khan RA. Bilateral acute angle closure glaucoma in a 50 year old female after oral administration of flavoxate. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2008. 66(5):726-727.
35. Salman MT, Akram MF, Rahman SZ, Haseen MA, Khan SW. Drug Prescribing Pattern in Surgical Wards of a Teaching Hospital in North India. Indian Journal for the Practicing Doctor. 5(2). 2008
36. Salman MT, Khan RA, Shukla I. Antimicrobial activity of Nigella sativa Linn. Seed oil against multi-drug resistant bacteria from clinical isolates. Natural Product Radiance. 7(1), 2008. 10-14.
37. Salman MT, Khan RA, Shukla I. Antimicrobial activity of Black Cumin seeds (Nigella sativa) against multidrug resistant strains of Coagulase negative Staphylococci. Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine. 3(1). 2008. 107-112.
38. Salman MT, Khan RA, Shukla I. In vitro antimicrobial activity of Nigella sativa oil against multi-drug resistant bacteria. Unimed Kulliyat. II (1), 2006. 8-13.
Book and Chapters in books published:
• Mohammad Tariq Salman, 2018. Antimicrobial Activity of Nigella sativa Against Resistant Bacteria. Scholar’s Press, Beau Bassin, Mauritius.
• Mohammad Tariq Salman, Sabahuddin Ahmad and Mohd. Naved Ashrafi, 2017. Hypertension and its management. In: Vibrant Health Through Better Nutrition (Ed. Rana, M.K.). Brillion Publishing, New Delhi, Chapter 5, pp. 57-72
• Mohammad Tariq Salman, Hisammuddin and Mohd. Naved Ashrafi, 2017. Kidney failure and nutrition. In: Vibrant Health Through Better Nutrition (Ed. Rana, M.K.). Brillion Publishing, New Delhi, Chapter 13, pp. 259-276.
• Rahman SZ, Salman MT. Alternatives to Animal Experimentation in Pharmacology- A Guide & Manual. Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences. 3rd Ed. 2014; Revised 4th Edition 2017.
• Mohammad Tariq Salman, Sabahuddin Ahmad and Mohd. Naved Ashrafi, 2014. Hypertension and its management. In: Vegetables and Human Health (Ed. Rana, M.K.). Scientific Publisher, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, Chapter 22, pp. 312-323
• Mohammad Tariq Salman, Hisammuddin and Mohd. Naved Ashrafi, 2014. Renal failure and its management. In: Vegetables and Human Health (Ed. Rana, M.K.). Scientific Publisher, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, Chapter 32, pp. 478-490.
• Rahman SZ, Salman MT. A Guide to the Alternatives to Animal Experimentation. Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences. 1st Ed. 2009.
• Rahman SZ, Salman MT. A Guide to the Alternatives to Animal Experimentation in Pharmacology. Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences. Revised 2nd Ed. 2010.